rinohtype: The Python Document Processor¶
Release v0.3.1. (Release History)
rinohtype is a Python library that transforms a structured document into a professionally typeset PDF guided by a document template and style sheet. It can be used to create any kind of document, but its focus is on complex documents such as technical manuals.
Included with rinohtype is the rinoh command line tool that renders reStructuredText and Markdown (CommonMark) documents. Support for DITA is available in the commercially supported Pro version.
rinohtype also includes support for Sphinx, which helps writing large structured documents and supports a multitude of different output formats including searchable HTML. rinohtype adds support to produce PDF output.
Here is a list of rinohtype’s main features:
- a powerful page layout system supporting columns, running headers/footers, floatable elements and footnotes
- figures, large tables and automatically generated table of contents
- automatic numbering and cross-referencing of sections, figures and tables
- use one of the highly configurable included document templates or create your own custom template
- the intuitive style sheets make it easy to change the style of individual document elements
- modular design allowing for multiple frontends (such as reStructuredText, Markdown, DocBook, ...) and backends (PDF, SVG, bitmap, ...)
- handles OpenType, TrueType and Type1 fonts with support for advanced typographic features such as kerning, ligatures and small capitals
- embeds PDF, PNG and JPEG images, preserving transparency and color profiles
- easy to deploy; pure-Python with few dependencies
- built on Unicode; ready for non-latin languages
rinohtype is currently in a beta phase. We are working toward a first stable release.
rinohtype is open source software licensed under the GNU AGPL 3.0. Practically, this means you are free to use it in open-source software, but not in (commercial) closed-source software. For the latter, you need to obtain a commercial license (see http://www.opqode.com/rinoh). We are also available for consultancy projects involving rinohtype, so don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Basic Document Styling
- Element Styling
- Document Templates
- API Documentation
- Dimension (
- Document (
- Drawing Primitives (
- Flowable (
- Fonts and Typefaces (
- Images and Figures (
- Index (
- Language (
- Paper sizes (
- Paragraph (
- Cross-References and Fields (
- Structure (
- Strings (
- Style (
- Tables (
- Templates (
- Dimension (
- Frequenty Asked Questions
- Release History